Saturday, October 17, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie


It's getting gotten cold here in Maine. Time for some comfort food. Real, homemade, good comfort food--like chicken pot pie.

Tuesday, I had the whole day off while Ms. Bic was at her very stressful job struggling to make headway on a complicated financial forecast that needed to be completed in a ridiculously short period of time. I wanted to have a good dinner ready for her when she limped home that evening.

So, as soon as I got out from under the covers that cold morning, I decided it was going to be chicken pot pie for dinner. Right after my breakfast, I got started on the crust.

I already had those ingredients on hand so I knocked that off before going shopping for the filling ingredients. Flaky pastry is always better if the dough sits in the fridge a few hours before rolling it out. The flaky pastry I like best for my chicken pot pie is an adaptation of a recipe I originally found in Rose Levy Beranbaum's wonderful The Pie and Pastry Bible. It incorporates one small (3 oz.) brick of cream cheese--which gives it great savory flavor and a deep golden color after baking. Click here for the recipe.

Update 3/19/10: Click here for a new recipe for a cheddar cheese flaky pastry crust that is equally good. Try them both!

As far as the filling, that recipe originated from one in Cook's Illustrated magazine's cookbook, The New Best Recipe, which in my opinion is one of the very best general cookbooks out there. The book would be a perfect gift for someone who wants to learn how to cook excellent versions of "standard" dishes.

My filling recipe (click here for it) is about as simple and straightforward as it can be while still creating a delicious, healthy filling.

The recipe serves four extremely generously. Leftovers are great for a few days in the fridge. As for wine: I'd recommend a soft, not-too-tannic, full-bodied red. Jadot's Beaujolais Villages (about $12) is ideal, La Vielle Ferme red (about $8) is very good with this, and Bota Box Cabernet Sauvignon (about $18 for a 3 liter box) is just fine in a swillable sort of way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How delish looking and sounding! (I stumbled upon this and am glad)

Ducky said...

Beautiful, Bic. I kept a copy of your recipes. Thanks!